Some basics of eligibility for Citizenship in Canada are as follows:
- Must be over 18 years old to apply (under 18 requires a parent or guardian to apply).
- Must have permanent resident (PR) status with no unfulfilled conditions related to your status. You cannot be under review for immigration or fraud reasons be under a removal order. Similarly, if you have committed certain crimes you may not be eligible.
Bill C-6 has passed. The new rules make it easier to become a Canadian Citizen.
- Physical presence in Canada is required. Currently, you must be in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1095 days during the 5 years preceding your application. There are exceptions for certain Crown servants and family members.
- You must have met your income tax filing obligations.
- For those between 14 and 64 years of age there is a requirement to provide proof of English or French ability as well as pass a test on how well you know Canada.